Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Buddha Buck bmbuck@14850.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:59:41 -0400

> On Wed, 02 Aug 2000, Buddha Buck wrote:
>
> > I view "$/8 USD" and "$/100 USD" to be -similar- commodities.  You can't
> > add or subtract them, but comparison should be possible.  Conversion
> > between them is possible without an explicit conversion ratio -- the ratio
> > is implicit.  They probably don't have the same display function.
>
> > Is there a sensible way to include that concept?
>
> An interesting concept (comparing two values without being able to express
> their difference). Where do you see that it might be useful in financial
> transactions?

I'm not sure that I do.  Comparison might not be a useful property,
although I
think $/8 USD and $/100 USD are fundamentally easier to compare than
$/8 USD and $/8 CND.  The important property to me ws the implicit
conversion ratio.

> > What I'd like is to be able to specify to the conversion routine two
> > commodities and a price without having to worry about conversions within
> > USD or whatever.  Being able to be told that $50 2/8 USD, at $1.50
> > CND/$1.00 USD, is $75 3/8 without having to specify that $1 0/8 USD = $1.00
> > USD and $1 0/8 CND = $1.00CND would make dealing with exchange-rate tables
> > -much- easier.
>
> I'm not sure that I agree. I think that you DO need to specify the 1 0/8 USD
> = $1.00 USD somewhere ONCE. After that, that fact should be implicitly
> available.

My thought would be that it would be implied by the denominators that
8 USD/8 = 100 USD/100, and that would be the implicit conversion ratio.

--
     Buddha Buck                             bmbuck@14850.com
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our