Backup feature?

Peter C. Norton spacey@lenin.nu
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 01:29:45 -0700

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 04:54:15PM +1000, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> #ifdef OFFTOPIC
>
> One thing that I'd really like is a proper backup system designed for
> use with CD-R(W), which supports a variety of backup strategies
> (including incremental and differential), spanning across multiple
> discs, and if possible (I wouldn't use it, but others probably would)
> a nice friendly drool-proof GUI so that others will use it.
>
> #endif

IMO a log-based filesystem should be able to be extended (maybe
special-purpose, maybe generally) do this - at the cost of a lot of extra
space - and that way let you look at past snapshots of your files, too.  In
principle if a filesystem is treated as a constantly updated, linear log,
the log changes can be backed up to any device.  a cd r/w would be a good
one.

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.