Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Herbert Thoma tma@iis.fhg.de
Thu, 03 Aug 2000 20:40:02 +0200

Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> As I see it, we seem to have some implicit common currency that we use as the
> "native" currency for a particular set of books. Here in the USA, it would be
> USD, but in Canada, it would probably be CDN. In either case, if I have one
> account in each currency, I would report the "value" in the native currency.
> We implicitly convert from CDN to USD in order to generate a "total
> (estimated) value" of the accounts. Similarly, if I have an account of Redhat
> stock, I apply an exchange rate to convert to a cash value.
>
> By the same conversion, I can convert from $/8 USD to the native currency and
> from $/8 CND to the native currency, and from $/100 USD to the native
> currency. Therefore, by simply concatenating two exchange rates I should be
> able to have the exchange rate between any two accounts for estimation
> purposes.

I yust want to asy, that I am still willing to work on such common
currency
code. This would be a extension / generalization of my EURO code.

But I decided to stop this work until the "exact quantity" /
"denominator" /
"API" / "Bill - Richard flame wars" / ... has come to an conclusion.

 Herbert.