Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:16:49 +1000 (EST)

Ben Stanley writes:
 > In Australia, we currently have a curious system. The smallest unit of
 > currency is 1 cent (AU$ 0.01), which is what bank accounts are kept in.
 > However, the smallest coin is 5 cents. All cash transactions are rounded
 > to the nearest 5 cents.
 >
 > Thus, the denominator for your fractionalised representation must be able
 > to cope with 1/100 for bank accounts, but 1/20 for cash accounts of the
 > same currency, and be able to convert between them...

What I'd probably do, if you needed to account for this, is create a
"rounding errors" expense account.  If needs be, we can probably
automate this process (certainly, if/when we add POS capabilities to
gnucash, we'll need it for Australia).

However, I would think that *most* of the time, just putting in the
amount that you actually pay would be satisfactory.