OFX 2.0

John jklar@projectplasma.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list,

FYI, the Moneydance (Java based) project claims (some) OFX support in
their 3.0beta.  I've pinged the developer about it, but haven't heard
back.

I forget the exact path, but I found it somewhere off of
http://moneydance.net/

Hi Benjamin,

> With OFX 2.0 now using XML instead of DTD, I was
> wondering if this would speed up the development for
> an online banking feature being included with gnucash.

Versions prior to 2.0 had an SGML DTD.  As XML is derived from SGML,
converting the SGML DTD's to an XML DTD apparently wasn't that hard.

It's a 'soft' benefit meaning that "Yes, we're using the latest in
buzzword technology".  But it's a thing that appeals to PHB's which,
hoepfully, will foster an accelerated adoption by more banks.
(please-oh-please-oh-please).

> I was also wondering how far this feature has come along.

<pessimism>

As of last week it's in the talk-about stage.  There are some real
non-technical hurdles to get over.  Here's my short list:

- While it's not brain surgery, the OFX suite is fairly comprehensive.  A
basic client will need to implement at least two major subsections:
"Activation & Account Information" and "Banking".  The question here is
how much needs to be implemented to pass conformance testing?

- Unit Testing.  I doubt that we'll get ANY bank to agree to let us use an
account as a lab-rat.  We need access to a test server or test suite.

- Conformance Testing.  I -think- a prospective client needs to pass a
conformance test.  There are several OFX consultants quite willing to run
them for you for several US$1000.  I doubt any bank will allow an OFX
client to connect unless it's been approved.

The last issue is the kicker.  My gut tells me that without significant
corporate sponsorship[1] we'll be "All dressed up but no place to go".

</pessimism>

OTOH, the last thing I want to do is to discourage people.  We may need to
adopt a "Build it and they will come" attitude.  But I'd feel
uncomfortable without either a reference server or test suite at the very
least.

John Klar

[1] A test server.  The cost of conformance testing.  A dedicated tech
support organization may be also be required for approval.