QIF classes

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:13:31 -0500

Chris Brown writes:
> I hope that this is the correct place for this question, please
> let me know if it isn't.

You should subscribe to the gnucash-devel list; we have had spam
problems, so we only allow subscribers to post.  In any case, I can
answer your question, and I'm sending the answer back to the list as
well.

> I have been considering using GnuCash for a while, but I have
> only recently started investigating the functionality it offers.
> It looks to be very good, and should replace most of what I use
> Quicken for.  There is one part of Quicken that I am unable to
> work out an appropriate method of replacing, that is Classes.

Classes are one of several features that are coming in a big lump in
the next few weeks.  There are a lot of cross-dependencies and file
format changes, so it's easiest to get them all at once.  Of course
that means you get a whole batch of new bugs at once, too.

We didn't until recently have anyplace to put the Class information
from your Quicken files.  Now we do; you can put as many identifying
"tags" as you want on a transaction.  The user interface will be
limited at first, but with the next release of the QIF importer you
will at least be able to preserve Class information from imported QIF
files.

> Furthermore the classes can be reported as sub accounts of a bank
> account, but they do not affect the actual transactions in the
> main account.  This is useful when reconciling the main account.

Absolutely.  We'll probably use tags extensively in budgeting, savings
goals, etc.

Bill Gribble