refresh second pass

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
01 Dec 2000 10:35:56 -0500

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> "Phillip Shelton" writes:
> > Ok. How about; one window has account C in it but only shows last months
> > transactions.
> >
> > Will adding a split in a different window for a different account for an
> > transaction that affects account C for a date in this month force an update
> > of the window with the account C or not.
>
> Ummm, if I'm following what you're saying, it doesn't need to.
> And it will be possible to avoid updating using the API. But
> whether it will or not in actuality will depend on how sophisticated
> the implementation is. I haven't written it yet :)

Yea, I think this is just a robustness issue, based on the granularity
of the events (and the means to specify which events you are
interested in).  It's also based on the implementation of the
component, and what events the register to receive.

For example, if your 'account C' component viewing some range of dates
registers for any changes to account C, then yes, it will get an event
when your new transaction is entered into the database.  However, in
that particular case, I would hope that your open 'account C'
component would look at the new transaction, notice that the data is
out of range, and then ignore it, doing nothing else.

Really, the question is: if you are viewing a subset of data in an
account, and a change occurs within that account, when is that change
verified against your subset rules?  I suspect that pushing those
subset rules all the way to the engine (or even the CM) might imply a
challenging interface.  OTOH, _not_ pushing that info down to the
engine or CM implies that each component may get events for data that
don't really affect it.

I'm sure that Dave will DTRT :)