Your article on GnuCash

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:33:24 +1100

Thanks for your article on GnuCash.  I'm one of the GnuCash
developers, and an employee of Gnumatic, a company formed to improve
and support the development on GnuCash.

WRT your list of missing features, scheduled transactions are one of
our most requested features on the ML.  Unfortunately, adding them is
not as straightforward as one might think.  Rest assured, though, it's
definitely in the works for future releases.

Adding interest, however, is not one I think we've really considered
before.  Thinking about it, however, suggests that it's only really
feasible in simple cases.  For active accounts with non-trivial rules
for calculating interest, the odds are that it won't get it right.
In my view, a better approach is to import that information from an
electronic bank statement.  We can already do this to some extent from
a QIF file, but we will probably want more flexibility in future.

Finally, I'd just like to point out that the version you reviewed is
a stable version maintained for production use.  The "bleeding edge"
development version is made available via CVS and periodic 1.5.x
development releases.

If you have any other feedback about GnuCash - perhaps some nitpicks
that you left out of the review but annoyed you, please feel free to
let me and the other GnuCash developers know.

Thanks again for your review!

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We are excited and optimistic about its usage going
forward and, yes, we can teach penguins the military
close-order drill", Mark Norton, US Department of Defense.