Removing a LCK file

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:41:29 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Ed Bacon said:

> linas@linas.org wrote:
>
> > It's been rumoured that Ed Bacon said:
> > >
> > > Robert,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the quick reply.  Here is exactly what happened.
> > >
> > > 1) Had a working gnucash in /home/ewb/gnucash
> > > 2) made a CD backup of /home/*
> > > 3) installed a new hard drive
> > > 4) restored /home/*

[...]
> > The LCK file is
[...]
> Thanks for all the help.  I found the problem.  After I restored the files the directory
> /home/ewb/gnucash was owned by root/root.  Once I changed the ownership to  ewb/users everything
> worked fine.  Is there a FAQ that we can put this tidbit in?  I'm willing to experiment with
> owner/group permissions and publish the minimum permissions necessary to use gnuCash.

That's one way to do it, but philosophically, it smells of 'documenting
a bug'.  I beleive a more user-freindly solution would be to have the
program check ownership & permissions and state something like

"This directory is owned by user xyz and not you. You need to change the
directory permissions or use another directory for saving your files."

This speaks to the whole question of the usability of Linux for my
grandmother.  She will better be able to react to this message than to
hunt down and read an FAQ.

--linas