Performance improvement for xml loads (+comments)

Al Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 23:53:00 +0000 (GMT)

On 5 Dec 2000, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Just to add my $.02, I'd rather see us using ASN.1 (and I absolutely
> DETEST Asinine-1) than XML.  Indeed, I'd like to see us come up with a
> relatively-extensible binary format; if we're planning to use binary
> for SQL, we might as well use it for flat-file as well.  The fact that
> data is being exploded by a factor of 6-10 is just unacceptable.

I find XML barficious myself, for these kinds of reasons. Having a
standardised format for tree-structured data is a noble goal, and what
XSLT and friends do is lovely, but XML seems such a terrible
representation!

ASN.1 is an acceptable choice, but the availability of tools to build XDR
stuff (read: the RPC libraries found on any UNIX machine capable of
NFS) may make XDR a good idea (see "man 3 xdr")

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/