Stock "price" transactions

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:01:26 -0800

"Kevin A. Foss" writes:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 12:50:38AM -0800, Dave Peticolas wrote:
>
> > also needs to wait. It is true that GnuCash 1.4 allows stock-type
> > accounts with no security, but this is really a bug. A stock-type
> > account is supposed to be counting *something* and thus every such
> > account really must have an actual security specified. The old-format
> > importer needs to be modified to prompt the user to specify an actual
> > security for such accounts where none exists. That should eliminate
> > the need for the patch.
>
> Well this leads to a question I have, I currently use the Mutual Fund
> account type to hold the payments I make into my Investment Club, which
> obviously isn't an actual 'security' per se.  Basically the accounting
> software we use started us out at $10/share in the club, so $100 bought
> 10 shares.  Now over time the price has fluctuated with the value of
> the stocks we've bought, etc and I periodically enter a share price so
> any gains/losses figure into the overall value of the investment tree
> in gnucash.  I find this much, much easier than maintaining my own
> shadow 'mutual fund' and trying to figure my share of all the stocks we
> own.
>
> So my question, is 1) what *should* I be filling in for a security?
> just a dummy string? or 2) is there a better account type in Gnucash
> to keep track of a club type investment?

1) For GnuCash 1.4, a 'dummy' string would be fine, though it's
   not really a dummy -- after all, you do own real shares in this
   club, so why not give them a name?

   In the next version of GnuCash, you can create a new 'commodity'
   type to represent the shares in your club.

2) No, I think mutual fund is really the most appropriate for what
   you are doing.

dave