Proposed Inventory plan (very unofficial long draft)

Tyson Dowd trd@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:40:30 +1100

On 28-Nov-2000, Conrad Canterford <conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au> wrote:
> All,
> Here are my current plans for the implementation of an Inventory
> Management System using Gnucash. For a background to my thoughts and the
> discussion generated on the list about this matter, see the spate of
> emails from September on this subject.
> Please note that I have, contrary to my earlier wishes, developed this
> plan as an implementation based entirely on the Gnucash engine.

We discussed this over lunch today (Conrad came down to Melbourne) and
I remembered that one of Quicken's nice features was that you could
track your home assets (lounge suites, clothers, CD collection, that
kind of thing) using an inventory management system so that you could
make insurance claims, track warranty information, that kind of thing.

Plus Quicken could use this inventory "value" to add to your net worth,
which made the bar graphs look nicer (in my case as a student several
years ago it was the difference between positive and negative).  As I
remember they used a completely different UI to do the inventory, and
probably a different engine too (it never seemed to synchronize
perfectly).  I thought this was a bit of a cop-out.

I suspect home contents tracking is just a special case of Conrad's
scheme, so there's probably nothing intrinsically "business only" about
inventory tracking.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.