Performance improvement for xml loads (+comments)

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
07 Dec 2000 14:18:15 -0600

Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com> writes:

> Storing tree structures in SQL is hairy. Very hairy. Sufficiently so that
> it may be worthwhile storing the kvp tree for an object in a binary format
> in a BLOB field.

Well, I definitely appreciate your suggestions, but it's also possible
that when we move to SQL, that we might drop the kvp_frames
altogether.  That's something we'll have to discuss.  One of the
reasons for implementing them was that it made adding new fields when
we needed them much easier, but it's my impression that databases also
have established ways for handling this kind of thing, so we may be
able to just leverage those bits.  Hard to tell before we really
consider the issues carefully...