Performance improvement for xml loads (+comments)

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
07 Dec 2000 18:01:38 -0600

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:

> You're a developer.  You don't count.

When I wasn't a developer, I still cared.  And if you poke through the
gnucash logs over the past few years, I think you'll find I'm not
alone, but again, we obviously have different experiences here.

The 50MB of RAM you're worried about is a *BUG*, and it needs to be
fixed.  Other than that, and some performance work that seems fairly
straightforward, I still have a hard time seeing why you're pushing so
hard for a whole new format.

> With a good binary format, you can write a small program that prints
> out the data-file in a text format for debugging.

As long as it recovers gracefully from corruption, I'm fine with
that.  It's just been my experence that writing binary->text
converters that handle corruptions gracefully is a very difficult
business.  Humans are much better at that and text lets them act.

> Not everything in the GnuCash data is an SQL primitive data type.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything.  I was planning that we
go out of the way to make sure we use primitives for all the primary
stuff.  As I mentioned before, this might even mean getting rid of the
arbitrary hierarchical frames stuff.