ROI discussion

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:23:11 -0600

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:04:59PM +1100, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> All this stuff is all archived in the ML - read the thread starting
> at this URL:
>
> http://gnucash.org/gnucash-devel/June-2000/msg00409.php3
>
> This calculations are slightly nontrivial, so sharing them with
> gnumeric if possible may not be a bad idea.

I had a nice chat with Jody Goldberg on #gnumeric.  gnumeric doesen't
do what we want, exactly, if what we want is a drop-in solution to the
problem.  They DO have code to do the math we want, and while there's
a bit of commingling with gnumeric infrastructure it's not terrible.

jody suggested that the gnumeric folks might be receptive to an
app-neutral refactoring of the financial stuff in gnumeric.  If we can
make a freestanding library from their code, we can share it with them
and hopefully get some synergy out of it.  PLUS I won't have to try to
dust off all my pitiful math skills.

If you're interested in poking through the gnumeric source, the XIRR
function which is the tricky part of annualized ROI is in
src/functions/fn-financial.c in the gnumeric source tree.  Search for
XIRR and you'll get there.

rgmerk and others, what think ye?

(please keep jody on the cc: list for replies, as I doubt he's on
gnucash-devel)

Thanks,
Bill Gribble