Salutations

Steve Greenland steveg@moregruel.net
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 13:36:24 -0600

On 08-Dec-00, 17:37 (CST), Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Just off the top of my head, here are some issues:
>
>   * Should we prefer PostgreSQL or MySQL?

I'm not trying to start a religious war, but at the moment, MySQL
doesn't support transactions, which I see as one of the big gains in
moving from (or supporting in addition to) the current file based
system. Yes, one can implement transactions "on-top-of", but then you
might as well stick with the file system.

Of course, the Right Thing is to be DB independent, but you probably
need to have some sort of "pre-test" to make sure the configured DB
supports all the necessary functionality.

Steve
--
steveg@moregruel.net