Performance improvement for xml loads (+comments)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
10 Dec 2000 12:16:04 -0500

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> If I had known anything about XDR (what is it?) when we were trying to
> figure out what do to with the dead binary format, I would certainly
> have considered it.  I didn't, and I don't recall anyone else bringing
> it up as a trivial solution then either.

man xdr(3n)

XDR is the eXternal Data Representation from SunRPC.  It is the
on-the-wire "format" used by NFS, NIS, Spray, and any other Sun/ONC
RPC system.  It's been around since the early 80's.

> But again, if we're going to SQL, and that's the current plan, at
> least, then this point is moot.  (Though I am still interested in
> knowing more about XDR.)

Hopefully I've given you enough pointers to get started.