File store (was Re: Salutations)

Al B. Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:28:15 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:

> Keep in mind that in the financial context, you are not-infrequently
> asked to do simple "data mining" in the form of any report run over 2,
> 5, or 10 years of your history.  The problem of multiyear reports is
> the biggest roadblock to book closing ATM.

Yes. I quite like the idea of havnig a "period" number in the transaction
records and, at the increment of each period, creating transactions that
transfer the balance of each account to an equity account, and then
transferring it back again after the increment, meaning that all accounts
start the period with a zero balance.

If a query goes back before the period boundary, everything will balance
with no extra work required.

> b.g.

ABS

--