File store (was Re: Salutations)

Al B. Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:59:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:

> What I understood your proposal about closing books to be was:
>  - at book closing time all account balances get rolled
>    up into a 'closing/opening' balance for the next period.
>  - expenses/income get transferred to equity.
>  - old transactions get put in a file which can be archived.
>  - when gnucash starts up, only the current accounting period is
>    loaded.

That was one of three proposals :-)

The third proposal was to keep all the old data, but to guarantee that the
balances of all accounts bar the special "carrying" equity account go to
zero at the period boundary, so a search for the current balance (adding
up all splits on an account) need only go back to that checkpoint.

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/