/src/engine/sql/*

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:10:18 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Dave Peticolas said:

> David Merrill writes:
> > There is some code in /src/engine/sql that says it is broken. How bad
> > is it? Should it be thrown away? Is there something salvageable?
>
> The code in .../sql was a proof-of-concept that Linas V. wrote. It is
> specific to postgres. It should probably be looked at for possible
> ideas, but not necessarily used as the basis for the real implementation.

Note also, that it only adressed putting data into sql, and not pulling
it back out again.  I never got to that part ...

Gnucash currently keeps all of its data in memory (which can be saved to
disk via the file format).  What I was hoping to do was to have the
in-memory data act as a 'local cache' of a bigger set of data stored
in an sql database.   As such, there are several 'cache coherency'
issues that are interesting & that I never got to solving.

> Specifially, the Backend structure used in .../engine is supposed
> to provide a generic interface to multiple backends, so you should
> take a look at that.

--linas