File store (was Re: Salutations)

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:22:15 -0500

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 06:08:46AM +1000, Phillip J Shelton wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > David Merrill <dmerrill@lupercalia.net> writes:
> >
> > > aisb, I consider the issue of closing the books and making all
> > > transactions prior to that immutable to be completely orthogonal to how
> > > the running total is determined. I am proposing a solution to the
> > > maintenance of running balances that scales well.
>
> I agree.
>
> > Let me give an example...  You have 1000 transactions a day, so you do
> > daily checkpoints.
>
> And going back to the table, if you do daily checkpoints then you get one
> record per day. Is date good enough to allow you to do a checkpoint every
> 500 transactions? In this case you would have two records per day.  i.e.
> does date include the time?

No, date does not include the time. To enable the admin to tune the
system, we could give them the ability to specify either daily
checkpointing, or after-n-transactions checkpointing. Then, we would
have to specify the exact transaction which was checkpointed, though.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Why do we want intelligent terminals  when there are so many stupid users?