Schema

Al Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:41:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Dave Peticolas wrote:

> Yes, if possible, we should store numbers as 64-bit ints. It is also
> possible that in the db we can just dispense with the denominators
> in splits all together. This is something we need to design carefully,
> as some engine assumptions may need to be changed (more on that below).

WARNING: If values are stored as pairs of fields in the database:

1) It's messy
2) We would need to implement all of the rational arithmetic algorithms in
SQL, which is far from trivial, if we were to use the database as more
than a dumb data store and do the maths in our code...

> dave

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell