Schema

Patrick Spinler spinler.patrick@mayo.edu
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:51:03 -0600

Other thoughts:

In your SECURITY section:

> Are we going to configure the database to use a separate login for each
> user (individual username and pw for the database *itself*), or are we
> going to handle that level of security ourselves, and then log into the
> database using a single username?

Most database support auth'ing database users against the OS's auth
method.  Essentially, once you've logged into the system, as long as
you're listed as a valid database user, you're okay.  I suggest we use
this method.

In the SCHEMA the split table still has some MONEY types in it
(*_balance).  Should not these columns be RATIONAL ?

I heartily approve the the idea of an API the way you suggest.  May I
suggest that we attempt to provide an database API layer that closely
matches the current functions in src/engine/FileIO.c.  This would
hopefully minimize the need to change gnucash to get it to work with a
database, at least as a first implementation.  (disclaimer: I haven't
looked at the 1.5.* source at all, and don't know if this might still be
viable)

Thanks,
-- Pat

--
      This message does not represent the policies or positions
	     of the Mayo Foundation or its subsidiaries.