DB design document

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
13 Dec 2000 19:50:42 -0500

Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> writes:

> WRT to over the wire encryption, I'd suggest looking into ssh port
> tunneling. That would let those who need it use something that is well
> tested and maintained, and those who don't ignore it completely. In
> either case, no need to deal with it in gnucash (or the db library).

Bad Idea.  We want to assure that encryption is happening.  We don't
want to depend upon user's setting this up properly.  I'd much rather
see us incorporate SSL/TLS, or something like it, directly in our
system.  Another reason to not use SSH: the database admin may not
want to create login accounts for all GnuCash users.

> Steve

-derek

PS: I'm at the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) this week, so I
don't have enough time to read your document.  I'll try to take a
close look next week.