DB design document

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:51:44 -0500

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 09:54:44AM -0600, Patrick Spinler wrote:
> David Merrill wrote:
> >
> > You can't avoid having a limit on text fields, but you can make them
> > very large.
>
> In short, if you plan on having updatable data, use varchar() columns,
> for which most databases preallocate space in the record.  This means
> some wastage of data storage, but you get a lot of positive performance
> boosts because of it.

I think you have this backwards. varchar means "variable length char",
while 'char' or sometimes 'text' is fixed length. By variable vs fixed
I mean how it is stored on disk, not the constraints on valid entries.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Giving money and power to governments is like giving whiskey and
car keys to teenage boys.
	-- P.J. O'Rourke