DB design document

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:46:01 -0800

David Merrill writes:
> I am designing a SQL back end for storing financial data that is to a
> large degree independent of the engine. In the same way that the
> current architecture provides for a very clear separation of GUI and
> engine, I am providing a very clear separation of engine and db.
> Theoretically, some other project could reuse this database with
> another engine, just as there could be a KDE client for the engine.

That's definitely a good approach to take.

> Obviously, I am designing specifically *for* gnucash, and not doing a
> separate project. Considering it as a standalone entity is a
> intellectual viewpoint that I believe will result in a better
> database. It will make the system as a whole more robust.

Absolutely.

> Also, if it will be a long time before the rest of gnucash is ready to
> use this database, then I have a long time to work on it!

Certainly, I just want to make the point that when gnucash is ready to
make use of the db backend, the backend (at least the one used by
GnuCash) may have to be changed to accomodate changes in GnuCash's
financial model.

Mainly, I'm just giving you a heads up. I'm very happy that you are
working on this.

thanks,
dave