DB design document

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:22:54 -0500

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 03:46:01PM -0800, Dave Peticolas wrote:

> That's definitely a good approach to take.
>
> Absolutely.

Okay, so I'm preaching to the choir. :-)

I'm used to working with incompetents. I do windows development
during the day quite a bit, although I also do the back end DB work
which is Oracle on Linux or Solaris. Pity me. Justifying good design
has gotten to be a habit.

> > Also, if it will be a long time before the rest of gnucash is ready to
> > use this database, then I have a long time to work on it!
>
> Certainly, I just want to make the point that when gnucash is ready to
> make use of the db backend, the backend (at least the one used by
> GnuCash) may have to be changed to accomodate changes in GnuCash's
> financial model.
>
> Mainly, I'm just giving you a heads up. I'm very happy that you are
> working on this.

What *I* meant to say was that I hope that a database that is relatively
ignorant of what its client (the engine) is doing will therefore be
relatively immune to changes in that client. But I do understand what
you're saying, and thank you.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Iron Law of Distribution: