DB design document

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:21:00 -0500

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 01:58:22PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 14-Dec-00, 16:06 (CST), Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> writes:
> >
> > > I don't think you can't use OpenSSL - tbe license is not compatible with
> > > the GPL. Whether distribution is actually a violation of the GPL depends
> > > where you fall on the dynamic linking question.
> >
> > OpenSSL is a shared library; we are completely free to link against
> > it.
>
> So you fall on "linking a shared library is not creating a derived
> product" side of the question. That's fine. I'll just point out that
> RMS disagrees. I personally tend to disagree as well, but I admit that
> it reasonable for others to argue otherwise. I do *not* want to start
> such an argument here, btw; gnu.misc.discuss is the appropriate place,
> although it's already been beat to death.

I personally am not going to use anything that is not GPL. I just got
here (this project), so I certainly am not going to try to dictate
that viewpoint on anybody else, but my work is going under GPL.

I also am not linking against OpenSLL, so you needn't worry.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Even bytes get lonely for a little bit.