Schema

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:34:01 -0500

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 07:29:30PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> David Merrill <dmerrill@lupercalia.net> writes:
>
> > Ugh! That is a completely meaningless name. *Every* numeric field is
> > a "quantity". Of WHAT is it a quantity?
>
> Well, we had talked about using "quantity" and "value".  Quantity
> would indicate how much of the thing you have, and value it's value.
> Though quantity, taken by itself, is ambiguous, I'm not sure it's so
> bad when within the context of a split.  It would be hard to confuse
> it with any of the other fields, and it's arguably better than
> damount.
>
> In any case, better names, would certainly be welcome.

Value I think is okay, as long as it is the value of the entity which
the row represents. Otherwise I like something a little more specific,
even if it is redundant, like split_value. I'll give it some more
thought.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Ingrate, n.:
	A man who bites the hand that feeds him, and then complains of
	indigestion.