DB design document

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 04:05:44 -0500

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 06:29:12PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> FTR, Debian currently ships OpenSSL (at least in non-us).  So, if
> Debian is willing to ship it, I don't see the problem.  We are not
> creating a derivative work of OpenSSL, we would be using the OpenSSL
> library (which is not the definition of derivative work).
>
> I can't believe that people are being so religious about free software
> that they aren't willing to use free software of another "flavor".  I
> suppose different people have different views of that "free" means,
> but I'm actually offended that people are willing to live without
> security (or with less security) due to religious beliefs about the
> definition of free.

I'll use free software of any "flavor". I use some software that is
not free, even. But I won't donate my time to make one of them. If you
want me to work on software that is not *completely* free, you gotta
pay me. That's the deal.

> I'll take a look at other security solutions, but I will insist that
> security be linked into "networked-GnuCash", regardless of the actual
> security toolkit that we decide to use.

I think we all agree on that. Whew!

--
David Merrill

For I am the soul of nature
That gives life to all the universe.
>From Me all things proceed
And unto Me they must return.
		-- from The Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente