DB design document

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
16 Dec 2000 09:18:39 -0600

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> Anyway we can avoid putting arbitrary limits on the lengths of text
> fields like account names & such? Currently gnucash imposes no such
> limits and I think it would be good to keep it that way. I know
> postgres has arbitrary length text fields, but I don't know about
> others.

I agree with Dave completely.  (This is on my list of things I'm
accumulating that I want to suggest when I finish catching up on this
thread.)  Although I suspect that whether or not we can support this
easily depends on whether or not we're willing to (a) limit ourselves
to a particular DB, (b) have "per installation settings" that allow
you to select arbitrary lengths if you're willing to pay the price (or
perhaps limit yourself to a particular set of DB's), or (c) plan to
depend on a server-side proxy that can handle the messy details of
storing arbitrary length strings (if that's even possible) in DBs that
don't handle them natively.