DB design document

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:33:26 -0500

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 12:29:54PM -0500, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> I imagine in an open-source context, management details are even more
> difficult to achieve, since there is no enlightened CEO who can decree
> that the decisions of the principal architect are law. It seems to have
> worked with the Linux kernel, where L.T. had the principal architect
> role, perhaps by acclamation, rather than executive fiat.

Yes, and you can see that most of the best projects have an individual
who is responsible for and has acknowledged authority over each module
of the package. There is no CEO to decree it, though, you have to earn
the respect of your coworkers, and your authority is directly related
to the respect you have earned.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Mine is the secret
That opens upon the door of youth,
And Mine is the cup of wine of life,
That is the Cauldron of Ceridwen
That is the holy grail of immortality.
		-- from The Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente