client-server

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:56:58 -0500

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 08:55:34PM -0600, linas@linas.org wrote:

> OK, here's the dope:
>
> I don't think rob is entirely aware of the possibilities that his XML
> file format opens up.   Some of the readers of this mailing list may
> also not be aware of what demos grib has done with embedding guppi
> in html.  I don't know how many people are aware that the cvs branch
> of gnucash has a web browser more-or-less built into it.  Its not a
> great all-purpose browser, but for the following example, that don't
> matter.
>
> GnuCash is just inches away from being a financial ASP website.
> Here's how:
>
> Imagine logging into a special ssl-protected website.  (using
> gnucash's built-in browser).  You've authenticated, and now you want
> to look at your stocks.  You are taken to the following web page:

[S-n-n-n-n-n-i-p!]

> I beleive the above architecture renders the whole previous
> discussion moot. I also think its a very, very exciting thing to do.
> It solves a number of technical issues, such as multi-user, that
> have been plaguing us.  Next, it give us world-class financial ASP
> capabilites.   Finally, I think this is what microsoft is thinking
> about when it talks .net  and  this alone makes it important for us
> to do this more/better/faster.

Yeah, baby, yeah!

I'll also mention that psql spits out its tables in customizable html,
and can be run via cgi scripts. You can write shell scripts or perl
scripts to execute queries and retrieve the results in html tables.
Maybe this is the way to go and maybe not, but it is interesting
enough to investigate, especially if we adopt Linas' proposal.

Which I like.

A lot.

Can you tell?

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net