DB design document

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
22 Dec 2000 10:50:32 -0500

Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com> writes:

> As for security... if we used Corba with ORBit, then we could just
> piggyback the Orbit-SSL stuff when it comes out; if we use ONC RPC, not
> all implementation provide the security extensions, but I'm pushing for a
> portable ONC RPC implementation with security in it anyway.

Also, it's not that hard to create your own transport with security.
A simple extention to rpc_tcp.c to build TCP-based transports is all
you really need.  I've done it once before, and it works well.
Luckily, the RPC interface is standardized across all systems so we
could take the RPC code from GLibc (which happens to be GPL'ed ;),
extend it, and it should work against any other RPC implementation.

> Mmmmm, my laptop (NetBSD 1.5) supports RPC over IPv6 - I was using it for
> NFS mounts on the home LAN today.

Not surprising.  RPC should be transport agnostic.