DB design document

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
22 Dec 2000 11:04:13 -0500

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@smtp.hex.net> writes:

> Yes, indeed.  The "CORBA way" would be to establish whatever set of
> interfaces are useful for distributing the application.

[snip]

> Even if the final conclusion is to not use CORBA, I would suggest that
> organizing the set of "published functions" in IDL form may be very useful
> in establishing what functions the GnuCash server should accept as calls.

Indeed, RPC uses an IDL as well (which looks remarkably like a CORBA
IDL, albeit much more limited in syntax).  I agree that any
client/server interface should be defined in _some_ IDL-like syntax,
preferably using some tool (orbit-idl, rpcgen, g-wrap, whatever) to
actually build the interface code from the IDL-like description.