client-server

Eugene Tyurin eugene_tyurin@yahoo.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:48:41 -0500

I apologize  if I'm  missing something -  didn't start  paying attention
to  this  thread  until  recently.    But  why  does  the  project  need
client-server, database, CORBA/SOAP and god knows what else?

I  always  thought that  GnuCash  was  a  Quicken-type  or, at  most,  a
PeachTree-like  application.   Now  it  seems like  it  is  moving  into
some  sort  of   enterprise  class  system  with  all   the  goodies  of
multi-user, front-to-back  deal-entry, accounting,  budgeting, invoicing
and risk-management hell.

Such  systems cost  millions of  dollars in  licensing fees  and support
costs.  AFAIK the company I work for spent almost 200 million on the SAP
implementation campaign.   The department I  work at spends  hundreds of
thousands every year on ZaiNet.

Is  this  really something  a  casual  user  who  wants to  balance  his
checkbook and know how much he spends on beer can bear?

--
ET.