client-server

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:42:42 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that linas@linas.org said:

> > The problem seems to be that C is insufficiently reflective to be able
> > to do an easy implementation (e.g. Perl and Python).  These languages
> > can easily serialize their own data structures into (say) XML, and then
> > de-serialize.  So it's easy to write a generic SOAP interface for them.
>
> right.  Does this mean that a C binding for soap would need to use
> IDL's in order to understand what to marshal?  Hmmm ...

Hmmm ... maybe its a job for (drum roll) !**! scheme!

we've already got g-wrap to convert our C structs & api to scheme:
it allows the scheme code to push & poke values into the C structs.

Now, if someone were to write a scheme-to-soap thingy, we'd be set.
(The perl-to-soap thingy took 'one programer two weeks' according to
the faq.)

Rob Browning: think about it ... a quick & effective way of giving
the scheme language some RPC's ... chocolate ... mmmm ...

I'm hitting Rob on his weak spot.  Just say 'this will benefit the scheme
language' and he gets all excited ...

-- linas