Tracking cost basis of shares

Dave Peticolas peticola@krondo.com
Sun, 09 Jul 2000 20:55:44 -0700

Robert Graham Merkel writes:
> Whilst discussing reports in the past week or two, it's become clear
> that we need to track
> which parcels of shares are sold when a sale is made.  Dave, Rob, Bill
> - have you already got a solution for this, or do you want me to come
> up with one?

Right now we have a partial solution using the src/engine/Queue.c
routines and the xaccSplitGetCostBasis call. This is currently used in
creating the portfolio report. This uses FIFO rules for selling.
However, you can't configure it to use a different rule and brokerage
fees are not included in the cost.

So, we do need a more general solution. No one is working on it,
so feel free to do so. The current code really needs to be more
independent from the engine and part of the 'calculation module'
we've been talking about creating.

dave