Dependencies problems installing 1.5.0

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 01:18:51 +1000 (EST)

Ken Schar writes:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > I downloaded the rpm to try and install GnuCash 1.5.0 but received the
 > following error.
 >
 > [root@scharknet kschar]# rpm -Uvh gnucash-1.5.*.rpm
 > error: failed dependencies:
 > 	libgtkhtml.so.2 is needed by gnucash-1.5.0-1
 >
 > I have gtkhtml installed. But apparently the version of gtkhtml that I
 > have has a newer version of libgtkthml (it's libgtkhtml.so.3).
 >
 > [root@scharknet kschar]# rpm -q gtkhtml
 > gtkhtml-0.5-0_helix_1

You'll have to rebuild from source to fix this.  You could probably
just download the source rpm and rebuild.

For the benefit of the rest of the list, the 1.5.x series are
*development* releases, intended for those who are interested in
helping to test new features (as well as add them!).  While there will
be exciting new stuff going in to 1.5 (printing being the first of
many), it's also quite likely that it will crash, lose data, etc. etc.

The net result of all this is don't use 1.5.x for anything you
can't afford to have damaged beyond repair.

Dave, can we update the website to make clear that the 1.4 series
remain the stable release?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net