missing

Terry tboldt@attglobal.net
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:57:49 -0400

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Terry writes:
>  > I finally downloaded 1.5.0 and of course have two unsatified dependencies.
>  >
>  > libgnomeprint.so.6
>  > libgdk_pixbuf.so.2
>  >
>  > I have of course been ignoring these messages the last few days and am now
>  > getting bit.
>
> Try downloading from helixcode.  They provide the most up-to-date
> gnome packages:

Tried helixcode - could only find source packages no binary packages unless you
are willing to download the whole of helixgnome. 150MB would take alomost 48
hours of continuous downloading and that assumes that the
phone line doesn't go down, the ISP doesn't go down, etc, etc. Not practical.

Due to many constraints -  mainly HD space and bandwidth, source is useless to
me - to compile the package to get usable binaries would require more resources
to be present on the HD than I have room for - maybe in a year or two I can get
the resources to upgrade to a new system, but for now no go. Thus, the
helixcode site is useless Thus, unless someone can recommend a source of
binaries for the 2 necessary dependencies, I'm out of luck for at least 2 years
and will have to stay with 1.3.100 until then.

I downloaded the two packeages anyway and attempted to compile:
for gdk_pixbuf , the configure script worked (it completed anyway). The 'make'
failed since a header file "gdk.h" is missing. Either the package is incomplete
or it dependes on another package. The configure script for gnomeprint couldn't
complete because a needed shell script  is missing.

So as I said, source code is useless to me since bandwidth precludes
downloading 150MB and HD space precludes putting a complete gnome
development system on it.

It would seem that if the gnucash people really want gnucash used, depending on
the users to re-compile gnome is a way to keep it being used by a very small
set of people indeed.