transaction record; jump to blank

Jason Rennie jrennie@ai.mit.edu
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:20:07 -0400

Hello,

I installed 1.4.2 not too long ago and one of the few things that has
annoyed me about GNUCash is that whenever I am in one of the multi-line
modes and I hit 'Enter', rather than going to a blank transaction, I go
to the next line in the current multi-line transaction.  I seem to have
found the code that handles this in gnome/window-register.c.  At the end
of the gnc_register_record_cb function is this small chunk of code:

  if (goto_blank)
    gnc_register_jump_to_blank(regData);
  else
    gnucash_register_goto_next_virt_row(reg);

I tried changing this to :

  gnc_register_jump_to_blank(regData);

and I got exactly the behavior I wanted.  I guess goto_blank was always
ending up as GNC_F (false) for me.  The comment at the top of the
function reads:

  /* If we are in single or double line mode and we hit enter
   * on the blank split, go to the blank split instead of the
   * next row. This prevents the cursor from jumping around
   * when you are entering transactions. */

but even when I hit 'Enter' in a blank line of a multi-line transaction,
I only go to the next line in the register (often an already filled in
line, rather than a blank line).  When I'm entering many transactions, I
don't like to have to move the mouse to add many entries, but I like to
do things in "auto single" mode so that after I've added a few entries,
I can add memos and do splits without having to change the register mode.

Anyway, I'd like to always be moved to the next blank after hitting
'Enter'.  Is there a reason as to why hitting 'Enter' doesn't do this?

Jason D Rennie          www.ai.mit.edu/~jrennie/
MIT:  (617) 253-5339          jrennie@ai.mit.edu
MITRE: (781) 271-7249          jrennie@mitre.org