fractional parts

Jon Trowbridge trow@emccta.com
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:05:41 -0500

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 03:45:20PM -0400, Terry wrote:
> but what about something like:
>
> 234 3/8 1/5 == 234 + 3/8 + 1/5 USD
>
> That could equivalently be expressed as
>
> 234 23/40
>
> But that's not my point - I have never seen the use of more than one fraction.
>
> My question - has anybody???? Would there be a reason for using more than one ?

US 5-year gov't bond future trade in 64ths but are quoted in 32nds, so
you'll see price quotes like:

  123-120  and  123-125

which correspond to

  123 12.0/32  and  123 12.5/32

(i.e. 123 24/64 and 123 25/64)

So I guess that would be sort of like

123 12/32 1/64

...but I think that sort of misses the point.  It seems to be that
this is just a consequence of a very bad choice of notation, not a
true decomposition of a price into the sum of an integer piece and
multiple fractional pieces with different denominators.

Other than this, I can't think of any example of this sort of thing.

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.