Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield@acm.org
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:48:23 -0500

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:
> 2. gnc_commodity : representing currencies and other commodities
>
>   1. gnc_commodity knows about the smallest possible transactional
>      unit for trading the commodity (for example, 1/100 of a US Dollar
>      or 1/1000 of a mutual fund share).

Is the smallest transaction unit a property of the commodity, or of the account?
Clark Jones mentioned the case of the mill for US Dollars - do you need some
accounts that count mills and others that count cents?
   What if I were a fruit vendor who bought raspberries from pickers by the
kilogram, and retailed them by the pint?
   I suggest that each account should define its commodity and an arbitrary
rational conversion factor from counted units to the commodity.  gnc_commodity
could contain a default conversion (1/100 for USD).