Performance improvements to gnucash

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 17:58:08 +1000 (EST)

Bill Carlson writes:
 > Hi,
<snip>
 > 	As these are the first changes I've made, I didn't
 > really know how to sumbit them.  Since they are short, I
 > just included the diff -c below from the current cvs tree.
 > Is the the best way to do this?

There's a script called make-gnucash-patch which is included with the
gnucash distribution.  You need the programs "makepatch" and
"uuencode" to make it work.  This will generate a complete diff,
including any new files that you have created, and then creates a gzipped
and ascii-armored patch which you can email to us.

You should send patches to gnucash-patches@gnucash.org instead of
gnucash devel.

 > 	Also, I plan to continue working on the performance
 > of gnucash.  I haven't had any luck getting profiling to work
 > (configure --enable-profile).  It generates a gmon.out file
 > which only contains a very small percentage of the total execution
 > time.  I suspect this may have something to do with guile.
 > Anyone have any luck with profiling?

Even if you can get profiling to work, you'll only ever get partial
information out of it (ie the Scheme code can't be profiled with a C
profiler).  However, if you do have any luck, please continue to
inform the list.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net