Duplicate transactions when importing QIG

Bob Stanfield stanassc@eclipse.net
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:45:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:
>
> > The kind of duplicate detection you are looking for is in the feature
> > list for the next revision of the QIF importer.  It's a little
> > trickier, because the fields describing the transaction are often very
> > different (comparing a hand-entered transaction to a downloaded one)
> > and it's hard to determine when two transactions represent the "same
> > thing."
>
> Here, I have to support Bill's interpretation. My suggetion is that we never
> attempt to actually complete this operation in an automatic manner.
> Rather, I would suggest that we parse the input file and display the
> resulting transactions in a split window with our "best guess" match, if any,
> listed opposite it. We then allow the user to manually verify each proposed
> matching, somewhat like you might do when reconciling file differences in a
> graphical "diff".

	I am currently in conflict with my bank/broker about their on-line
banking system. A small invention by the computer jocks in the 1950's seems
to have missed the young jocks, namely the transaction index. Each
transaction is given a unique index. The description can be changed/corrected,
re-entered, etc, but index identifies it and may never be duplicated.
The transaction index of a check is the check number. All other transactions
must be identified uniquely.