Perl API

Clinton Popetz cpopetz@cpopetz.com
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:20:05 -0600

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:34:00PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> "Darren/Torin/Who Ever..." <torin@daft.com> writes:
>
> > Okay.  I'll look for this.  If we're going to have to update a major
> > portion of the Perl API, we might want to just use XS.  This would free
> > us from the dependency on swig.  I have a lot more experience with XS as
> > well.  :)
>
> Hmm.  How hard would this be, and what would the tradeoffs be?  This
> sounds interesting...

XS is much more flexible and perl-oriented (obviously, since it's
specific to perl) than SWIG.   You can do a lot more in XS to make a
"nice" perl interface.  But it's also a lot harder to tweak a .xs file
than it is to tweak SWIG interface definitions.

One key advantage of doing it in SWIG is that SWIG can spew out Python
interfaces as well, and I hear there are people who actually like
programming in Python.  <shudder> :)

				-Clint