Implementing proper cost basis tracking for shares

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
01 Nov 2000 17:00:35 -0600

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> To use the example above, Where are the 'Insitution',
> 'Institution:MegaBank' and 'Institution:Fidelity' accounts?
>
> Does 'Liabilities:CreditCards' include both 'MegaBank' and 'Fidelity'?

I realized I didn't actually address your specific examples...

In my example, I wasn't intending that there be *any* account
associated with the direct children of Institutions, and in fact there
would be no account associated with Institutions itself.  It's just a
"container" label.

And, no, Liabilities would only have whatever you put in to it which
might or might not actually be all of your liabilities.  The "views" I
was thinking of would be, in some cases, strictly a framework for the
user to organize all or parts of their account set in various
meaningful (to them) ways.

We might also use the framework internally for some very specific,
rigid organizations, but thats a different point.