QIF imports from NetBank and Vanguard using GnuCash 1.4.7

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:31:29 -0700

Derek Atkins writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've got accounts with Vanguard and NetBank, both of whom support QIF
> downloads of account information.  None of my downloaded QIF files
> load properly into GnuCash.  I'm trying to understand the QIF parsing
> code to see what's going on, but I can't find any documentation about
> either a) QIF File Formats, or b) how the QIF importer actually works.

There is some documentation in CVS: src/scm/qif-import/file-format.txt
That file has some info about qif. Bill Gribble, the qif import author,
is out of town atm, but when he gets back he would be the best one to
explain its operation (and hopefully write it up in written form).

I think he was planning an overhaul to improve the importation of bank
statements. Right now it is mainly designed to load large histories, I
believe.

> I'm willing and able to share my QIF files to get to the bottom of
> this.  I'm also willing to code, if I knew what changes I needed to
> make.

Bill will be back soon and I'm sure he would appreciate any help.

> PS: I noticed that Vanguard now support OFX downloads, and I can
> download a single OFX file with all of my funds in it..  Maybe that
> will help down the road?

I think so. It seems more banks are offering OFX downloads as an
alternative to connecting to an OFX server. This might be a way
for us to use OFX without needing to get the addresses and permission
to use the bank servers.

dave