Get PostgreSQL installed as part of the distros

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:27:01 +1100

John Hasler writes:
 > Lars writes:
 > > Wouldn't it be a lot more clever if we could convince the distros to make
 > > a running, configured PostgreSQL installation part of the default
 > > install, for the benefit of all?
 >
 > Debian already provides a running, configured PostgreSQL installation out
 > of the package.  I see no need to make it standard, though.  Dependencies
 > will pull it in when it is needed.

If the world used Debian, the decision to use an SQL backend would be
considerably easier.  Unfortunately, we have to cope with
distributions that are less perfect ;)

<ducks from all the other distros and *BSD users>

A simple text file still has other advantages, though.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net