Get PostgreSQL installed as part of the distros

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:29:47 -0700

"Lars Pind" writes:
> Hi Gnucash-people
>
> I witnessed a talk by Linas at the NYLUG meeting this past Wednesday, and the
> re was some talk about using PostgreSQL as a back-end storage for GNUCash.
>
> Linas said that one of the major obstacles would be the support issue -- step
> ping people through installing and setting up PostgreSQL, not to speak of mai
> ntaining it.
>
> We at ArsDigta/OpenACS (arsdigita.com, openacs.org) are in a similar situatio
> n. We're about to get our product, ACS, included on RedHat and a number of ot
> her distros, but we depend on a running PostgreSQL installation. So far, we'v
> e planned on installing and setting up PostgreSQL ourselves, with some RPM an
> d shell script magic.
>
> But Linas' talk sparked this idea: Wouldn't it be a lot more clever if we cou
> ld convince the distros to make a running, configured PostgreSQL installation
>  part of the default install, for the benefit of all? Application developers
> could then start relying on a working PostgreSQL installation, so they could
> concentrate on adding value instead.

That sounds like a good idea. Have you looked at the gnome-db project?
This aims to provide a single API for accessing many different databases,
including postgres, mysql, oracle, and others.

dave